- 1 lb. beef, ground, lean
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c. parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. chicken breast, boneless cooked, (baked or boiled and chopped into shreds)
- 1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. celery, finely chopped
- 2 c. escarole, or 2 cups spinach, torn into small pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper, fresh, ground, black
- 1/4 c. pasta, pastina, or 1/4 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, for serving
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup takes some time to prepare, but if done in stages is so much easier, and worth the time to prep!
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Form into very small balls (should make approximately 80-90 meatballs. Bake on a non-stick cookie sheet and turn half-way through the cooking time).
- Baking time approximately 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs have browned but are still soft (watch closely).
- Once removed from oven, drain on paper towel, if necessary.
- Soup: Combine all of ingredients, EXCEPT the pasta and escarole or spinach, into the slow cooker with meatballs.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours
- Add pasta and escarole or spinach during the last hour of crocking and salt to taste, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Top each serving with grated parmesan or romano cheese.
Note: The meatballs must be prepared before being put into the slow cooker, you can make them the night before and put them in the refrigerator over night or make a double batch and keep a batch in the freezer for the next time. Much easier than preparing all the same day!