Cooking Time:4-8 hours
Ingredients2 tsp. seasoning
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. white pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 c. chopped onions
5 small red potatoes
additional salt & pepper
Love this recipe for Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken (whole chicken) as I can make it either use for a recipe, or even freeze it along with the broth for another day.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl.
- Remove any giblets from chicken and discard or freeze for later use.
- Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
- Wash and pat dry potatoes.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Wrap potatoes in foil and place in the bottom of a 6-Quart or larger slow cooker.
- Next, add onion to the slow cooker. Season onion with sat & pepper.
- Add chicken.
- Cover. Cook on low for 4 hours, checking doneness after 4 hours and cook longer if needed.
Note: I recommend using a pop-up timer in the chicken to avoid overcooking.
Optional: Depending on how I’m serving this bird, I sometimes place under the broiler to brown it up!
For more recipes, get our eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Crock Pot Cooking + Recipes from the Crock Pot Girl.”
I have found that cooking poultry with the breast down keeps the meat more moist..Turkey or chicken, this allows the juices and the seasonings from herbs & the bones to get into the drier white meat.
I made this instead of using spices I used bbq sauce it was yummy
This makes a great broth for soup, and the chicken is wonderful. Trying this with a turkey breast today!
2 tsp of seasoning? What kind?
That’s also what I’d like to know. Since you posted this 2 years ago I guess the questions are not answered 🙁