Cooking Time:7 hours
Ingredients4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 T olive oil
sliced mozzarella cheese (can also use shredded)
Spaghetti sauce (26 oz or more)
canned or fresh mushrooms, sliced
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite “healthier” Italian dishes. Carb-concious crockers can omit the bread crumbs and instead just dredge through the herbs & cheese. If you do this, though, be sure to increase the amount of herbs and cheese accordingly.
NOTE: To prevent the bread crumbs on bottom of the chicken from getting soggy, use an insert like this one.
- Pour olive oil into the bottom of a slow cooker and coat the bottom well using a paper towel.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl.
- Combine bread crumbs, seasonings and the parmesan cheese and place in a shallow dish.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and then lightly dredge into the bread crumb mix to coat both sides.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place one slice of cheese on each chicken breast.
- Combine pasta sauce and mushrooms the pour over top of the chicken breast pieces.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 hours (8 hours if you are using frozen chicken)
- Serve with angel hair pasta and crusty french bread.