Cooking Time:7–10 hours
Ingredients3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 green or red pepper, optional (or combination)
2–4 oz. mushrooms, optional
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 T. vegetable oil
2 lbs. venison stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
dried oregano to taste
dried basil to taste
1 — 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. dry red wine
1/2 c. water
- Place the celery, onion, garlic, and parsley in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the venison well in two batches, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, red wine, and water.
- Cook. Cook on Low for 7 to 10 hours.
Variations: a. Substitute 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and 1 tsp. salt for 2 1/2 tsp salt. b. For added color and flavor, add 1 cup frozen peas 5 minutes before end of cooking time. c. Beef can also be used in place of the Venison. d. Some have added also mushrooms and carrots to this delish recipe.