Cooking Time:7-10 hours
Ingredients3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 green or red pepper, optional (or combination)
2-4 oz. mushrooms, optional
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 T. vegetable oil
2 lbs. venison stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
dried oregano to taste
dried basil to taste
1 - 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. dry red wine
1/2 c. water
- Place the celery, onion, garlic, and parsley in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the venison well in two batches, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, red wine, and water.
- Cook. Cook on Low for 7 to 10 hours.
Variations: a. Substitute 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and 1 tsp. salt for 2 1/2 tsp salt. b. For added color and flavor, add 1 cup frozen peas 5 minutes before end of cooking time. c. Beef can also be used in place of the Venison. d. Some have added also mushrooms and carrots to this delish recipe.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”