Cooking Time:6–7 hours on Low or 3–3 1/2 hours on High
Ingredients2 c. chopped round red potato (2 med.)
1 c. coarsely chopped carrot (2 med.)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped onion (1 med.)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped celery (1 med.)
4 oz. can (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 T. quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
1 lb. bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. frozen peas
3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, cut up
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine potato, carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle tapioca over the mixture. Top with chicken thighs. Pour broth over all.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and coarsely chop; discard bones.
- Return meat to slow cooker along with peas and cream cheese.
- Cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir well; serve with Cheesy Biscuits following the recipe below.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine 1 2/3 cups packaged biscuit mix and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.).
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 10 times. Pat into a 1/2 inch-thick circle. Cut with a floured 3 inch biscuit cutter. Reroll scraps as needed.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.