Cooking Time:6-7 hours
Ingredients1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1 pkg. taco seasoning
15 oz. canned kidney beans, drained
6 oz. pkg corn muffin mix
1/3 c. milk
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 c. shredded colby (or co-jack, monterey jack) cheese
4 oz. can chopped green chiles, UNDRAINED
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. salsa
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- In non-stick skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is just cooked (don’t brown too much). Break up meat into smaller bits.
- Add taco or chili seasoning mix and water (just enough to moisten), and stir until seasoning is mixed throughout. Stir in drained kidney beans, and pour mixture into 4-5 quart slow cooker. While the meat is cooking in the skillet, you can do some of the following prep work.
- In large bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, milk, butter and egg just until combined. Fold the cheese and chiles (including the liquid from them) into the corn muffin battter, then spoon mixture over the beef in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread mixture comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, salsa, and cilantro; serve with pie.