Cooking Time:4 hours
Ingredients3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 stalk of celery
1/2 c. diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
16 oz can, fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot (or buffalo sauce of your choice)
Large lettuce leaves (I use romaine but iceberg will work too)
Bleu cheese crumbles (optional topping)
Ranch dressing (optional topping)
Shredded carrots (optional topping)
Chopped celery (optional topping)
This recipe is one of my favorites and it’s delicious, light and easy to make. I have even subbed BBQ or Teriyaki sauce when I didn’t have any Buffalo sauce on hand. I would love to see comments on how you customize these chicken lettuce wraps to your taste!
- Place chicken in a slow cooker and top with chopped onion.
- Pour broth in the crock and be sure chicken is completely covered (add water if you don’t have enough broth)
- Add garlic and 1 stalk of celery.
- Cover & crock on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Removed chicken breasts and place on cutting board.
- Measure 1/2 c. of the broth from slow cooker and set aside. Discard remaining broth.
- Using two forks, shred chicken on the cutting board.
- Place chicken back in the slow cooker and add the buffalo/hot sauce, stir.
- Gradually mix in the broth that was set aside to moisten the chicken & sauce as needed. (I usually use about 1/3 c.)
- Cover and crock on HIGH for 25 more minutes.
- To serve, place clean lettuce leaves on a plate and add chicken. Top with ingredients of your choice such as shredded carrots, celery, bleu cheese crumbles or ranch dressing.