Cooking Time:6-8 hours on Low or 3-4 hours on High
Ingredients4 lbs. short ribs, boneless, cut into 3-inch pieces (can use bone in)
Salt and pepper
2 T. vegetable oil
1 onion, medium, chopped
1 ginger, peeled and chopped (1/2-inch) piece
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. soy sauce, low-sodium
14.5 oz. beef broth, can low-sodium
So many of you have been asking for more Chinese recipes so I came up with this one for Slow Cooker Chinese Boneless Short Ribs. It really turned out so flavorful and juicy. This will be a regular dish in our house from now on!
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add half of ribs.
- Cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until onion is slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. (Mixture will be very dry.) Add soy sauce and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring to pick up browned bits. Pour over ribs in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until liquid has thickened slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle sauce over ribs.
Serve hot with vegetables and steamed white rice, if desired.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
Wondering if I can leave the flour out and have it still work….We’re a grain free family!
Hi Debbie! I think it will be fine without the flour. Please let me know how it turns out. Happy Crocking!
first of all thank you so much for this recipe. It has been a success every time I prepare it either for family or friends. I just visited the recipe on your site again and realized that the photo is no longer corresponding with your recipe. Thought you might like to know. I believe it shows bbq bone-in short ribs. Beautiful photo though 🙂
Kind regards and best wishes,