Cooking Time:6–8 hours on Low or 3–4 hours on High
Ingredients4 lbs. short ribs, boneless, cut into 3-inch pieces (can use bone in)
Salt and pepper
2 T. vegetable oil
1 onion, medium, chopped
1 ginger, peeled and chopped (1/2-inch) piece
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. soy sauce, low-sodium
14.5 oz. beef broth, can low-sodium
So many of you have been asking for more Chinese recipes so I came up with this one for Slow Cooker Chinese Boneless Short Ribs. It really turned out so flavorful and juicy. This will be a regular dish in our house from now on!
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add half of ribs.
- Cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until onion is slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. (Mixture will be very dry.) Add soy sauce and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring to pick up browned bits. Pour over ribs in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until liquid has thickened slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle sauce over ribs.
Serve hot with vegetables and steamed white rice, if desired.