Cooking Time:7-8 hours
Ingredients3 lbs. pork loin roast, boneless (trim all visible fat, roast should be about 2 1/2 lbs. after trimming)
olive oil, for spraying crock pot (or use non-stick spray)
1/2 c. reduced-sugar ketchup (the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup has 1 gram sugar per T)
2 T. tomato paste
4 T. Splenda or Stevia in the Raw granulated
1 to 2 T. brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it, or use all Splenda or Stevia if you prefer)
(You can also use 1/3 c. Splenda-brown sugar blend, which will make the sauce a bit higher in sugar)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. mustard (regular yellow mustard, not Dijon)
2 tsp. green Tabasco (or 1 tsp. red Tabasco)
1 1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke (or more, optional but definitely recommended)
There are so many recipes for Pulled Pork, but Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Low-Sugar Barbecue Sauce, will be a winner for most watching their sugar!
- Spray slow cooker with olive oil or the non-stick spray.
- Trim all visible fat from pork loin roast, then cut in half against the grain and place in slow cooker.
- Combine reduced sugar ketchup, tomato sauce, Splenda, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, green Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, and Liquid Smoke in measuring cup or bowl and whisk together, then pour over roast.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours, or until meat shreds apart easily.
- With a slotted spoon remove pork loin from slow cooker, and place on cutting board.
- Check the sauce in crock pot and if you’d like it a bit thicker, pour sauce into small saucepan and simmer at medium-low heat until reduced by 1/3, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- While sauce thickens, use two forks to shred the meat, placing the meat back in slow cooker to keep warm if desired.
- When sauce is as thick as you want it, pour over meat.
Note: Pork Loin can be kept warm in the slow cooker for an hour or two, or served immediately!