Cooking Time:8 hours
2 T. Olive Oil
1 lb. beef, ground, lean
1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. Italian breadcrumbs
2 T. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
6 c. chicken stock
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, minced
2 carrots, minced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 c. baby spinach
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. cavatelli pasta
parmesan cheese, for serving
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup takes some time to prepare, but if done in stages is so much easier, and worth the time to prep! Make the meatballs ahead of time and stick them in the freezer to make this soup even easier to prepare!
- Mix all meatball ingredients together and form into 3/4-inch meatballs (about 5 dozen).
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high.
- Add meatballs (can do a few batches) and brown on both sides.
- Place cooked meatballs on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Place onion, carrots and celery in a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Add chicken breasts on top of vegetables.
- Add meatballs and remaining ingredients expect pasta and spinach.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 hours
- Remove bay leaf and chicken breasts, then recover slow cooker
- Shred chicken and return to slow cooker.
- Stir in pasta and spinach. Cover and cook on LOW for 15-30 minutes or until pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Top each serving with grated parmesan cheese.