Cooking Time:2 1/2 - 3 hours on High or 6 - 7 hours on Low
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 Onion, small, chopped
1 Garlic clove, minced
1.25 oz. Taco Seasoning Mix
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
6-9 Corn Tortillas, (5 1/2-inch)
1/2 c. Chicken Broth
1/2 c. Tomato Sauce
10 oz. Enchilada Sauce
6 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
30 oz. Black Beans, Rinsed & drained
11 oz. Mexicorn Whole Kernel Corn, drained
4 oz. Diced Green Chiles
2 1/4 oz. Canned, Sliced Olives
Sour cream, to taste
Do you love “taco night” – or as we call it around here, “Taco Tuesday?” Mix things up a bit this week with Slow Cooker Taco Casserole! This dish is full of all the yummy flavors you find in a taco but super easy to prepare and serve casserole style! Note: I always make this dish in my CROCK-POT® CASSEROLE CROCK (I’m seriously in love with this slow cooker) but you can use any 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Spray crock with nonstick cooking spray or brush inside of 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker with oil.
- Brown ground sirloin in a skillet with onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stir frequently. Drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix, salt and pepper.
- Place 3 tortillas in bottom of oiled slow cooker. Top with beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Layer 3 more tortillas. Top with beans, Mexicorn, green chiles, half of the olives and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining 3 tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and olives.
- Cover. Cook on High for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Uncover slow cooker for last 30 minutes of crock time.
Serve with sour cream.
Optional: Facebook friend felt there were too many tortillas, so you can reduce from 9 to the however many you would like!
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
Is this gluten free
I love this recipe. I have been doing this recipe by oven for years. It is always a winner when I make it. By oven, it only takes 30 to 45 minutes. What is the advantage of doing this by slow cooker?
The advantage is not to heat up the kitchen, as well as time. Even though it is done in the oven for a shorter period of time, sometimes just easier to make it ahead of time and forget it until supper time! Thanks for the question!
I have a 4 qt crock (being a small family) Can this work?
Yummy I’m making this crock por casserole tomorrow morning!! Thx.
Do you drain any of the other canned items besides the beans?
Hi Michelle, The recipe only calls to drain the beans, but if you would like to drain the corn as well, you certainly can. Hope this helps and Happy Crocking! 🙂
Well we didn’t drain anything else but beans and ours is pretty much a soup consistency. It looks nothing like the photo. Thinking we should have drained the other items. Bummer.
1 peppers, Red and Green, drained
This is listed as an ingredient, but not mentioned in the directions?
Are there really almost 800 calories per serving of this stuff???
Yes Michelle, that included a tablespoon of sour cream too! If you want to make it lower in calories, you could use fresh tomatoes and as many other fresh ingredients you have. Happy Crocking! 🙂
You listed peppers in the ingredients but did not mention them in the directions. Was that a mistake?
Hi Joan the peppers are mentioned in step #5 right after the green chili’s! Thanks for the question, and Happy Crocking! 🙂
What type of red and green peppers? You said drained but I’ve never seen them in a can. Can I use fresh?
Absolutely! Enjoy and Happy Crocking!