Cooking Time:8-9 hours on Low or 4-5 hours on High
Ingredients1 onion, large , halved and thinly sliced
2 carrots, medium, peeled and thinly sliced
2 potatoes, large, cut into small chunks
1 to 1 1/2 c.rutabaga, peeled and diced (about 1/2 small rutabaga)
1 c. green beans, fresh, in small pieces
1 lb. beef. stew meat
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 packet onion soup mix
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 c. beef stock, low-sodium
2 T. sugar, light brown
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Pepper to taste
3 T. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. tomato paste
When you think of comfort food, you will certainly be thinking of Slow Cooker Best-Ever Beef Stew! YUMMY!
- In a skillet and a little olive oil, brown the stewing beef for additional flavor.
- Combine everything EXCEPT the flour and the tomato paste in a slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours or on High for 4 to 5, until the beef is tender and the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir the stew once or twice as it cooks, if possible.
- About 30 minutes before serving, transfer a ladle full of the broth to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the flour and tomato paste and whisk until smooth. Stir the mixture into the stew and cook for the remaining half hour.
NOTE: Rutabaga can be omited, but if you do, increase the potatoes and carrots.