Cooking Time:8 hours
Ingredients2 T. grass-fed butter (or ghee)
1 onion, diced
1/2 c. sweet bell pepper
4 c. free-range chicken broth (or homemade)
1 parsnip, diced
1/3 tsp. thyme
4 oz. green chiles, drained
1 c. frozen corn
12 oz. crabmeat, canned works well
1/2 tsp. chili powder or paste
dash salt and pepper
1 c. coconut milk (canned)
avocado slices or scallions for garnish
I promise you that you will love Slow Cooker Paleo Crab & Corn Chowder – well, “paleo-esque” as corn is not Paleo-Friendly! If you want to stick to true Paleo fashion then skip the corn. You could replace with another veggie, like zucchini. I cannot promise you that the soup will last long. – You’d better double this recipe if you like leftovers!
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until they are translucent, then scrape onions and butter into crock.
- Add all other ingredients to crock, EXCEPT coconut milk and (optional) avocado.
- Cover. Crock on Low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, add coconut milk, stir well, and remove crock insert from base.
- If you desire a smooth, pureed soup, use a stick blender to puree soup lightly while in crock, or remove 1/2 of soup from crock and blend in blender until smooth, then add back to the crock and mix well.
Optional: Garnish with bacon, green onions or avocado.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
In recipes calling for corn, I have paleorized them by subbing an equal amount (by volume or weight) of diced or cubed yellow bell pepper, daikon or jicama. For added color, sautéing the daikon or jicama in a bit of oil or broth and ground turmeric works well. And, none of these subs change the finished flavor of the recipe overly much 🙂