Cooking Time:3 Hours
Ingredients1 (13 lb) whole turkey (uncooked)
kitchen twine (to tie Turkey)
2 cups butter (softened)
1 1/2 ounces fresh sage
1 lb or more of bacon (uncooked)
1 garlic clove
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
Last Thanksgiving our friends from Cackle & Oink BBQ shared a bacon-wrapped turkey that looked divine! Unfortunately, Cackle & Oink is all the way in Sherman, Texas so there was no way to get a taste of their oh-so-good turkey on Thanksgiving. I found this recipe to make at home and while it’s not made in a slow cooker, the results were still fabulous.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F
- Remove giblets and neck from Turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Chop Onion and Garlic and mix together. Once chopped and mixed, stuff the Onion and Garlic mixture into Turkey.
- Tie up the Turkey’s wings, legs, and drumsticks with Kitchen Twine as desired.
- Chop Sage and mix in with softened Butter.
- Rub Sage/Butter mixture under the skin and over the skin of the Turkey.
- Salt and pepper Turkey to taste.
- Place uncooked, Bacon slices all over the skin of the uncooked Turkey. They will stick onto the buttered Turkey.
- Insert an Oven-Safe Meat Thermometer into the inner thigh area near the breast of the Turkey but not touching the bone.
- Place Turkey in a roasting pan and use Foil to tent the uncooked Turkey.
- Remove foil tent for last hour of cooking Turkey.
- Continue to let bacon cook on Turkey for an additional 15 minutes, then remove. (OPTIONAL — Bacon can then be chopped and placed in a separate dish of your choice).
- Remove Turkey from oven once 160 degrees is reached internally in the Turkey.
- Allow Turkey to rest for 20–30 minutes, then carve (during the rest period, Turkey will continue to cook to 165 degrees).
Recipe courtesy of Food.com
For over 400 Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!