Cooking Time:3 Hours
Ingredients1 (13 lb) whole turkey (uncooked)
kitchen twine (to tie Turkey)
2 cups butter (softened)
1 1/2 ounces fresh sage
1 lb or more of bacon (uncooked)
1 garlic clove
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
Last Thanksgiving our friends from Cackle & Oink BBQ shared a bacon-wrapped turkey that looked divine! Unfortunately, Cackle & Oink is all the way in Sherman, Texas so there was no way to get a taste of their oh-so-good turkey on Thanksgiving. I found this recipe to make at home and while it’s not made in a slow cooker, the results were still fabulous.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F
- Remove giblets and neck from Turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Chop Onion and Garlic and mix together. Once chopped and mixed, stuff the Onion and Garlic mixture into Turkey.
- Tie up the Turkey’s wings, legs, and drumsticks with Kitchen Twine as desired.
- Chop Sage and mix in with softened Butter.
- Rub Sage/Butter mixture under the skin and over the skin of the Turkey.
- Salt and pepper Turkey to taste.
- Place uncooked, Bacon slices all over the skin of the uncooked Turkey. They will stick onto the buttered Turkey.
- Insert an Oven-Safe Meat Thermometer into the inner thigh area near the breast of the Turkey but not touching the bone.
- Place Turkey in a roasting pan and use Foil to tent the uncooked Turkey.
- Remove foil tent for last hour of cooking Turkey.
- Continue to let bacon cook on Turkey for an additional 15 minutes, then remove. (OPTIONAL – Bacon can then be chopped and placed in a separate dish of your choice).
- Remove Turkey from oven once 160 degrees is reached internally in the Turkey.
- Allow Turkey to rest for 20-30 minutes, then carve (during the rest period, Turkey will continue to cook to 165 degrees).
Recipe courtesy of Food.com
For over 400 Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!