Cooking Time:8 hours
Ingredients2 lb. beef oxtails
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 c. shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
2 c. beef stock
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. tomato paste
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. tamarind paste
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 T. Coconut oil or grass-fed butter
Sea salt and pepper
I love discovering new foods that, maybe just a few years ago, I would have never tried! The crock is the absolute perfect companion to this recipe for Slow Cooker Paleo Island Oxtail. Make a stop at your local butcher for this flavorful and rich cut of beef.
- Heat coconut oil or butter in a large skillet (cast iron preferably) over medium-high heat.
- Season the oxtails with sea salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes each side and place in crock.
- Add the diced onions, carrots, mushrooms, and jalapeño to same skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- De-glaze the pan by adding the beef stock to skillet, then garlic, tomato paste, allspice, and tamarind, scraping up all of the browned bits in skillet.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour this sauce over the oxtails in crock.
- Cover and crock on LOW 8 hours.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
We’ve got oxtails in our freezer and have been looking for a recipe! Will be trying this today — what would you serve this with? And is there a substitute for tamarind paste? tx!
Hi Patti, I found this on the internet, and thought I would share with you: For tamarind, substitute 1/4 cup orange juice mixed with 2 tablespoons lime juice OR Pomegranate molasses! These were two alternatives that were suggested. Hope this helps! I would suggest a vegetable of your choice, and maybe even some creamy mashed potatoes, and a nice salad. Hope this helps you! Enjoy and Happy Crocking!