Cooking Time:5-6 hours on High
Ingredients1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 lb. sausage, sliced (I like andouille sausage for this recipe)
14.5 oz. tomatoes, diced
1 onion, large, chopped
1 green bell pepper, large, chopped
2 celery, ribs, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 c. chicken broth
3 lb. shrimp, large. raw peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 c. parsley, chopped fresh flat-leaf
Garnish: sliced green onions
When it comes to New Orleans style foods, you can’t get much closer than Slow Cooker Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo!
- Brown flour in a 9 inch cast iron skillet in the oven at 400° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Stir once, and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the flour is browning, brown the sausage over medium heat for about 5 minutes in a separate skillet.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer the sausage to a 6 quart slow cooker; adding tomatoes. onion, peppers, celery, garlic, bay leaf, Creole and thyme.
- Whisk broth with the browned flour until smooth.
- Pour over sausage in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir in shrimp, green onions, and parsley.
- Again, cover and crock on HIGH 30 minutes longer, stirring once.
- Before serving discard bay leaves.
Serve with rice of your choice.