Cooking Time:5-6 hours on High
Ingredients1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 lb. sausage, sliced (I like andouille sausage for this recipe)
14.5 oz. tomatoes, diced
1 onion, large, chopped
1 green bell pepper, large, chopped
2 celery, ribs, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 c. chicken broth
3 lb. shrimp, large. raw peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 c. parsley, chopped fresh flat-leaf
Garnish: sliced green onions
When it comes to New Orleans style foods, you can’t get much closer than Slow Cooker Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo!
- Brown flour in a 9 inch cast iron skillet in the oven at 400° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Stir once, and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the flour is browning, brown the sausage over medium heat for about 5 minutes in a separate skillet.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer the sausage to a 6 quart slow cooker; adding tomatoes. onion, peppers, celery, garlic, bay leaf, Creole and thyme.
- Whisk broth with the browned flour until smooth.
- Pour over sausage in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir in shrimp, green onions, and parsley.
- Again, cover and crock on HIGH 30 minutes longer, stirring once.
- Before serving discard bay leaves.
Serve with rice of your choice.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
How do you brown the flour? I’m a total rookie in the kitchen.
Patrick basically just the way it is stated. If you have a cast iron skillet?? Enjoy!
Is the andouille sausage like smoked sausage?