Cooking Time:5–6 hours on Low or 2 1/2–3 on High
Ingredients1–2 T. Canola Oil
3 lb. chicken thighs and/or legs, skinned
1.1 oz. beefy onion soup mix, envelope (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package)
1 c. mushrooms, cut into wedges (~ 3 pieces/mushroom)
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, chopped into small pieces
1/2 c. red wine (make sure it’s not sweet!)
1 c. chicken stock
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. flour
2 T. cooked bacon pieces (optional)
This is a delicious and traditional French recipe that includes two of my favorite things — Chicken & Wine! (literal translation is “Rooster in Wine”) Slow Cooker Coq au Vin is a must make recipe, and is full of flavor!
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Salt & pepper the chicken
- Brown chicken, cooking about 5 minutes per side
- Place chicken on a paper towel to drain the fat
- Add the chicken to a 4–5 quart slow cooker and sprinkle with the soup mix powder.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots.
- Pour chicken stock and wine over top.
- Cover & Crock on Low for 4–5 hours.
- Remove lid and mix tomato paste into sauce; sprinkle with flour and stir. (this will help thicken the sauce)
- Stir in bacon pieces (optional)
- Cover & Crock for 30 minutes longer.
- Shred chicken into large pieces and discard chicken bones or save for making chicken stock.
- Place chicken in bowls and pour stew over top.