Cooking Time:1-2 hours
Ingredients16 oz. gumbo-style vegetables, frozen pkg. (okra, peppers, onions, etc)
12 oz. chicken breast, (grilled adds flavor) cut into bite size pieces
2 c. chicken broth, reduced-sodium
2 celery, ribs, chopped
4 oz. chilies, mild, canned
1 medium garlic clove, minced
29 oz. tomatoes, diced, canned
1 tsp. Creole seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 T. flour, whole wheat all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. rice
Happy to share this Slow Cooker Low-Calorie Chicken Gumbo from my Mother-in-law. While on Weight Watchers she made it often, and because it is so good she still makes it. Your family will truly enjoy this EASY and TASTY dish! Great to use leftover grilled chicken too.
- Spray nonfat cooking spray in a large skillet. Place garlic, celery and veggies in skillet and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook for 1 more minute.
- Combine tomatoes, chicken, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Creole seasoning, and stir into skillet.
- Transfer to slow cooker to meld the flavors together.
- Cover. Cook over Low for 1-2 hours.
Optional: Serve over a bed of rice (prepared per the package instructions), or substitute rice with Shirataki Noodle (one Brand Miracle Noodle).
Nutrition Facts include Rice: