Cooking Time:6-8 hours on LOW
Ingredients3 T. Unsalted Butter Finely Diced Mirepoix (made from 2 onions and 1 ea. of carrot & celery) 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced 2 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef (I like 85% lean) 1/4 lb. Pancetta or Bacon, chopped into pieces 1/2 c. Milk 4 T. Italian Seasoning 2 Bay Leaves 1 T. Sugar 14 oz. can, Diced Tomatoes 28 oz. can, Crushed Tomatoes 14.5 oz. can, Beef Broth 1/4 c. Water Salt & Pepper to taste 1/4 c. Grated Parmesan Cheese
It’s true – I am a pasta fanatic! But nothing makes pasta better than homemade sauce – especially this Slow Cooker Beef Ragu. This Beef Ragu is derived from a family recipe that I tweaked to make it slow cooker friendly. Use this to compliment your favorite pasta or even as a meat sauce in lasagna. The leftovers (if there are any) freeze well too!
- Place butter in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add mirepoix and garlic, stirring until onion is translucent. (It should NOT brown. If it starts to, reduce the heat!)
- Add pancetta or bacon and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, salt & pepper and cook until almost all the pink is out.
- Drain fat (Note: don’t put it down the sink drain! I pour mine in a can then throw it in the trash after it hardens)
- Pour milk over meat mixture in the stockpot and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer ingredients in stockpot to a 5-Quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add italian seasoning, bay leaves, sugar and more salt & pepper and mix well.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, beef broth and water.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover and Crock on LOW for 6-8 Hours. If you’re home, stir the sauce every once in awhile, but it’s okay to let is sit too! (or use a Crock-Pot® Programmable Slow Cooker with iStir™ which will stir for you!)
- Mix in the parmesan cheese right before serving (and sprinkle more on top, if desired)
- To serve, spoon 1 cup of sauce on a plate and top with your favorite pasta.