Cooking Time:3–4 hours on Low
Ingredients3 c. butternut squash, cubed
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, diced
1 shallot diced
7 oz. ricotta cheese, low-fat (or 1/2 or a 15 oz container)
1 T. dried sage (or same amount of fresh, chopped)
1 package of lasagna noodles (you’ll only use about 6)
3/4 c. mozzarella, low-fat shredded
1/2 c. frozen spinash, thawed, liquid squeezed out
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. coriander
Here is yet another alternative to a delicious Lasagna. Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Lasagna is delicious and great to make in the summer with a delicious homegrown butternut squash.
- Place cubed butternut squash in a baking dish in a preheat oven of 350 degrees, and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and coriander. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once. (Roasting adds flavor)
- Add the diced onion, shallot and garlic in a skillet with 1/2 T olive oil and sauté on the stove until tender – approximately 5 minutes.
- Whist ricotta, egg, and sage in a bowl until smooth.
- Mash roasted squash until smooth, by adding EITHER a little chicken stock, milk, or water, which will help with mashing and making a creamy smooth squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the following: Spread 1/2 T. olive oil on the bottom of the slow cooker and a thin layer of the mashed squash. Break in half two (2) lasagna noodles and place the 4 pieces on top of the squash to form the first layer. On top of the noodles, spread 1/2 the ricotta mixture, and on top of the ricotta, layer 1/2 the onion mixture. Break two (2) more noodles to form the second layer. Spread the rest of the mashed squash on top of the noodles, and add the spinach. Place another layer of noodles. Top noodles with the rest of the ricotta and the rest of the sautéed onions mixture. Evenly scant the dish with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3 – 4 hours, or until the noodles are tender.
- Remove from slow cooker using a spatula, and serve.