Cooking Time:4 - 6 hours on Low or 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours on High
Ingredients8 T. unsalted butter, divided
4 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each, salt & pepper
1/2 c. whole milk
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped onion
26 oz. frozen hash browns, shredded
8 oz. shredded Colby cheese
Love this when we go to Crocker Barrel, and so Happy to share the Slow Cooker COPYCAT Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole with you. Enjoy!
- This recipe starts by making a simple roux — a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce.
- Melt 2 T. butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Sprinkle in flour, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Next, we’ll add liquids to create the sauce mix: Whisk all the ingredients in the saucepan and slowly pour in the milk. This will create a nice, thick paste.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and continue to whisk constantly.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then cook for 2 more minutes while continuing to whisk.
- Pour completed sauce into a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining 6 T. butter and onions. Stir until butter is melted.
- Stir in cheese and frozen hash browns.
- Cover and Cook on Low for 5–6 hours. Cool slightly before serving.
NOTE: This recipe can also be converted to a vegetarian recipe by omitting the poultry seasoning, and substituting the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
OPTIONAL: If you would like it browned on top simply place in a baking dish and place under the broiler for a few minutes.
Serve and enjoy!