Cooking Time:8 Hours on LOW
Ingredients2 Carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 Large White Onion, sliced 3 Pieces of Bacon, cooked and crumbled 2 Stalks of Celery, chopped 3 Cloves Garlic, minced 1 pkg. Hursts HamBeens Cajun 15 Bean Soup 1 pkg. Smoked Sausage (like Hillshire Farms), sliced 14 oz. Can, Diced Tomatoes 3 c. Beef Broth Hot Sauce, to taste Salt & Pepper, to taste Rice - optional
We have been eating a lot of beans around here! My friends at Hurst’s Beans sent me a bunch of different beans to try and my kids have suddenly fallen in love with them! We have been eating beans a lot since they are packed with protein and can be prepared in so many ways. Our most recent creation, Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Stew was actually a favorite of my daughters (which she called “awesome!”) so we will definitely be making this recipe again soon! (Note: I leave the hot sauce out until the end since my kids don’t care for much spice.)
- Rinse beans and place in a 6-Quart slow cooker. Add enough water to cover the beans by about 5–6 inches. Soak overnight.
- Drain beans and return to slow cooker.
- Set sausage aside and add remaining ingredients, including the Cajun Seasoning packet to the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 8 Hours.
- With about an hour left for the beans to cook, slice the sausage and brown in a skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Continue cooking until the beans have cooked for 8 hours and are nice and soft.
- Remove about 1 cup of beans and transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse to puree and return to the slow cooker.
- Stir all ingredients to combine. Taste, and add a bit of hot sauce if needed.
- Serve in a bowl as a stew or serve over rice. This is delicious with a thick slice of corn bread!