- 14 oz. tomatoes, diced
- 14 oz. pumpkin puree
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 onion, large, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 1 heaping tsp. dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
- 1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 - 2 chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce, seeds removed, minced, optional
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken, breasts, or cutlets, skin and visible fat removed
- 28 oz. chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. corn kernels, if frozen, thawed
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, shredded cheddar, guacamole/avocado, green onions and/or tortilla chips, for serving
There are many versions of chili recipes, you will not go wrong with this one…. Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chicken Chili! NOTE: This recipe can easily be converted to vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth, and omitting the chicken.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and pumpkin to a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker.
- Whisk pumpkin mixture until well combined.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chipotles, combine well.
- Add chicken, chickpeas and corn.
- Cover. Cook for 6-8 hours on Low or for 4-5 hours on High.
- When ready to serve, remove chicken and chop into bite-size pieces or shred with two forks or a Meatrake.
- Add chicken back to pot.
- Stir in cilantro and serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar, green onions, guacamole and/or tortilla chips.