Cooking Time:8–10 hours
Ingredients1 pinch saffron
2 T. boiling water
1 yellow onion, large and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 c. converted long-grain rice
1 T. vegetable oil
2 whole bay leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
14 oz. plum tomatoes, canned drained and chopped
8 chicken thighs, boneless
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 c. chicken broth, lowfat and low-sodium
1 c. frozen peas, defrosted
pimento (sliced, stuffed olives optional)
hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Combine the saffron and boiling water and set aside.
- In skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and rice in the vegetable oil.
- Season with the bay leaves, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add the plum tomatoes and stir well.
- Transfer the vegetable and rice mixture to the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, sauté the chicken thighs until browned.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice layer in the crock.
- Adding the saffron and water, and the chicken broth.
- Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour, then reduce to Low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of cooking, add the frozen peas and mix the contents thoroughly.
Note: pimento (sliced, stuffed olives, optional) and/or hot pepper sauce (optional)