Cooking Time:8-10 hours
Ingredients1 pinch saffron
2 T. boiling water
1 yellow onion, large and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 c. converted long-grain rice
1 T. vegetable oil
2 whole bay leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
14 oz. plum tomatoes, canned drained and chopped
8 chicken thighs, boneless
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 c. chicken broth, lowfat and low-sodium
1 c. frozen peas, defrosted
pimento (sliced, stuffed olives optional)
hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Combine the saffron and boiling water and set aside.
- In skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and rice in the vegetable oil.
- Season with the bay leaves, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add the plum tomatoes and stir well.
- Transfer the vegetable and rice mixture to the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, sauté the chicken thighs until browned.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice layer in the crock.
- Adding the saffron and water, and the chicken broth.
- Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour, then reduce to Low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of cooking, add the frozen peas and mix the contents thoroughly.
Note: pimento (sliced, stuffed olives, optional) and/or hot pepper sauce (optional)
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
Should the chicken thighs be skinless as well?
Is the rice cooked before putting into slow cooker?
Hi Ruth, thanks for the question it is uncooked!