Cooking Time:6 hours
Ingredients2 T. olive oil
1 lb. bulk sweet Italian sausage
1 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
1 lg. red onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. dry red wine
28 oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
28 oz. can tomato sauce
salt to taste
1 c. heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the sweet and hot Italian sausage until browned, about 10 minutes. Break the meat up into crumbles as it cooks.
- Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 8 more minutes.
- Pour the mixture into slow cooker. Pour red wine into the skillet, and stir to dissolve the brown flavor bits from the bottom of the skillet. Pour the wine into the slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 5 hours.
- Pour in the cream, stir, cover, and cook for 1 more hour.
- Adjust salt again if necessary.
Serve with rigatoni, rotelle or any other thick pasta.