Cooking Time:6–8 hours on Low, 3–4 hours on High
Ingredients1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
15 oz. whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
10 oz. enchilada sauce, canned
1 medium onion, chopped
4 oz. can green chilis, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
14.5 oz. chicken broth, canned
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
10 oz. corn, frozen
1 T. cilantro, chopped
1/2 of lime juice
7 corn tortillas
If you like Chicken Tortilla Soup then this slow cooker recipe is a must make! The longer you let the soup simmer the more flavor it has and like many soups, the leftovers are even better!
2/24/15 — UPDATE: I just made this recipe on ABC 15 in Phoenix! Please see the video HERE!
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Pour in water and chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Stir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, then place back into the slow cooker. Add the juice of 1/2 of a lime and stir.
- Serve in bowls topped with optional ingredients like tortilla strips, sour cream and avocado.
For Tortillas: (You can buy tortilla chips or make your own!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Brush both sides of small corn tortillas lightly with oil.
- Cut tortillas into strips, lay out on a baking sheet. (a pizza cutter works great for cutting)
- Bake about 10 — 15 minutes in preheated oven until crisp.
- Serve tortilla strips over soup.