Cooking Time:4 hours
Ingredients1 lb. Ground Beef
1 Small White Onion, diced
3 Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 Stalks of Celery. finely chopped
10 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (Rotel)
2 T. Fresh Chopped Parsley
4 T. Butter, divided
3 c. Chicken Broth
4 Potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 c. Flour
2 c. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 oz. Processed Cheese (Velveeta), optional for creaminess
1 1/2 c. Milk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/4 c. Sour Cream
When you are looking for an easy recipe that will be good for the adults and the kiddos….look no further than this Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup! Yummy!
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain grease.
- Put 1 T. butter in the bottom of a 6-Quart slow cooker and top with the carrots, celery, and potatoes.
- Crumble beef and onion mixture over top.
- Top with can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies. (Rotel)
- Add salt & pepper and pour chicken broth in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on LOW for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Just before soup is done, melt remaining 3 T. butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Make a roux by whisking flour into the melted butter and cook for a few minutes until golden in color and bubbling.
- Whisk milk into the roux and cook on medium heat (continuously whisking) until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Stir in cheese, sour cream and fresh parsley.
- Cover. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- To serve, top with croutons or a side of crusty french bread.
Update on 10/6/15: I’ve found that my family likes this more meaty so I increased the amount of ground beef from 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. in the recipe.
Optional: If you like your soup a little thicker, just add 1 to 2 T. corn starch whipped smooth in water and add to the soup! Serve with crackers, bread or topped with croutons for a tasty meal!
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
you suggest microwaving potatoes ahead of time. can you give instructions for that?
Sometimes I just put the potatoes in the microwave to get them started cooking ahead of time before I use them in certain dishes! Not to cook through, but just for a few minutes, about 5-6 minutes.
Hi! Could the potatoes be substituted for something else?
Hi Alison.. a great substitute for potatoes would be cauliflower… Hope this helps! Happy Crocking! 🙂
Great!! I’ll give that a go tomorrow!! Thanks so much!!
What serving size was used for the nutrtional information. I’m on a diet and would like to make this. Thanks.
I make a super simple version of this soup with just 5 ingredients – 1 qt broth, potatoes, 1 onion (chopped), 1 lb browned ground beef and 4 cups grated cheese. I cut the potatoes in small chunks and cover with the broth. I don’t measure the amount, just make sure they are covered. Add the beef and onion – let it cook on low all day. When it’s done I smash part of the potatoes with a masher (right in the slow cooker) but leave it partly chunky since hubby like it that way. I add the cheese and… Read more »
Hi Becky! I love the idea of the use of non processed sharp cheddar! Do you think I could substitute those potatoes for something else though?
Any suggestions for another cheese in this soup besides Velvetta? We are not big fans of it. Can I use any other type of cheese and cut it in cubes or shredded cheese? Thanks!
I made this soup a month or so ago and I am not a fan of velveeta cheese either. I used shredded cheddar cheese I believe 8 ounces. Although me and my family love cheese I put a little more then 8 ounces in…just because we love cheese. And it was delicious with regular shredded cheese.
I make this alot, it is so good. I add bacon to mine to make it a Bacon Cheeseburger Soup.
Great, I’ll give that a go! Thanks so much!!
Love these kid friendly recipes!! Thank you!! I have three picky little boys so keep them coming!! 🙂
Excellent soup!! And so flexible to suit your own tastes. Thanks for this recipe. Winter hit with a vengeance this weekend, so it was perfect for being snowed in.
I made this today and it was fantastic! I work full time and my daughter had gymnastics so I just put everything in the crockpot except for the butter, sour cream, and cheese on low and it cooked all day. After gymnastics I added the velveeta, sour cream and butter and mixed it around and it all melted really quickly. We paired it with crusty bread and it was wonderful! We also topped it with some bacon! My husband who never eats soup even loved it!