Cooking Time:7-8 hours or overnight
Ingredients1 - 2 T. butter or margarine, to butter sides and bottom of cup/bowl
1 c. grits, stone-ground (not quick cooking)
2 c. water
1 1/2 c, milk
1/2 c, heavy cream
1 tsp. kosher salt
- If you like something warm for breakfast and a true comfort food, you will love Slow Cooker Southern Creamy Grits!
- In a glass measuring cup/bowl, (4 cup size), butter sides and bottom of cup/bowl and combine grits, water, milk, cream, and salt.
- Place the measuring cup/bowl (with the grits mixture in it) in a slow cooker, and add enough cold water to the crock to come about half-way up the outside of the glass measuring cup/bowl which holds the grits mixture.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 – 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove slow cooker lid and stir grits well to break up any lumps that formed during the crocking.
NOTE: I like to add cheese to my HOT Grits, and let it melt, for CHEESY GRITS! YUM!
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
I am from England please could you tell me what grits are … Rice /pasta . Thank you
Hi Lucy, Grits are a corn-based food common in the Southern United States, consisting of coarsely ground corn. Grits can also be made from wheat. You can also google it, and find out more about grits.
Do you have to use heavy cream?
No Dena you do not have to use heavy cream, it just makes it a little creamier. Make any of the recipes your own! Enjoy and Happy Crocking!