Cooking Time:2 1/2 to 3 hours
Ingredients1 onion, medium, chopped
1 bell pepper, green, medium, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
16 oz. red kidney beans, undrained
16 oz. pinto beans, undrained
16 oz. tomatoes, diced, no-salt added, undrained
8 oz. tomato sauce, no-salt added
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper, black
1/2 tsp. mustard, prepared
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
1 c. cornmeal, yellow
1 c. flour, all purpose
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. egg substitute
3 T. vegetable oil
8 1/2 oz. corn, cream style, no-salt added
Slow Cooker Bean and Cornbread Casserole is not only delicious, but it is quick, and definitely good on a chilly evening!
- Lightly grease slow cooker.
- Over medium heat in a skillet, cook onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir in kidney beans and pinto beans.
- Add diced tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, seasonings, mustard and hot sauce.
- Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour.
- In a separate large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir in milk, egg substitute, vegetable oil and corn.
- Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover. Cook on High 1 1/2 — 2 hours more.
NOTE: If there is leftover cornbread, depending on size of slow cooker, spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. (If empty cups in muffin tin, put water in empty cups — Do not bake without the water in empty muffin tin cups.)