Cooking Time:9 hours
Ingredients1 c. Dried Chickpeas
About 4 c. Water (enough to cover beans)
2 T. coconut oil, divided
1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 T. Tomato paste
2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Turmeric
24 oz. Chicken Broth
2/3 c. Green Olives, sliced
1/2 c. Golden Raisins
28 oz. Crushed Whole Tomatoes
1 Large Butternut Squash, chopped & peeled (or 2 lbs. frozen, cubed)
1 c. Green Peas
6 c. Cooked Couscous
1 Lime, cut in wedges
1/4 c. Chopped Cilantro
Slow Cooker Chickpea Chili is not only Healthy, your house is going to smell amazing. This is definitely a recipe you could win a “Chili Cook Off” with! YUMMY!
- Place the chickpeas in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for one hour to soften. (Other option: soak chickpeas overnight in room temperature water.)
- Drain water and place the chickpeas into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Heat 1 T. coconut oil over medium heat. “Sweat” the onions — cooking just until translucent without browning
- Add garlic; sauté 1 additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, red pepper, cinnamon and turmeric, sauté 30 seconds longer, stirring constantly.
- Transfer sauté onion mixture to slow cooker.
- Mix broth, water, olives, raisins and tomatoes, then pour in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High 8 hours.
- Pour remaining coconut oil in the skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Sauté butternut squash in the skillet and brown for 5 minutes.
- Transfer squash to slow cooker and stir with ingredients.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour. Stir in peas and cook for 30 minutes longer.
Serve over couscous, sprinkled with cilantro, and lime wedges.