Cooking Time:6 hours on Low
Ingredients3 lb. flank steak
2 T. coconut oil, divided
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. white wine vinegar
2 T. sea salt
1/4 c. cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 c. parsley, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
12 oz. tomato paste, canned
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
1 T. onion flakes (or onion powder)
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. oregano, dried
1 T. cumin powder
This is a delicious Spanish recipe, and one that is especially popular in Cuba. It is delicious, and you will truly enjoy the blend of flavors.
- Cut the flank steak into strips, against the grain.
- In a frying pan, use 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and place in the pan browning half of the flank steak strips for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with the other half of the flank steak adding with the additional tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Transfer the browned flank steak.
- Adding all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well, combining all the ingredients with the steak.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 hours.
- When done remove the flank steak and shred.
- Once shredded place back in the slow cooker, and again combine all the ingredients with the steak before serving.
SERVE with rice and beans, or in a tortilla.
OPTIONAL: Save a few slices of pepper to top your Ropa Vieja!