Cooking Time:4-5 Hours on LOW
Ingredients1.5 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Juice of One Orange
Peel of One Orange (to zest)
Juice of One Lemon
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 c. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
1.5 c. Water
Salt & Pepper, to taste
2 T. Cornstarch mixed into 2 T. Water
1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
3 Green Onions, sliced
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, if desired
I have to admit it – I LOVE Asian food! One dish my family can agree on ordering any time we go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant is Orange Peel Chicken. I love this dish so much that I had to create something similar for myself. It’s much more cost-effective (and likely healthier too) to make this Slow Cooker Orange Peel Chicken at home. Add a side of your favorite Asian noodles or even make some fried rice in the slow cooker and you’ve got a great meal! What’s your favorite Chinese dish? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll show you how to make it in the slow cooker!
- Cut the chicken into 2-inch cubes
- Add cubed chicken to a 3 to 4 Quart Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker
- Zest Orange before juicing – scrape orange against a fine grater or zester to remove the outer layer of peel. Reserve for sauce.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl (make sure you mix the 2 T. of cornstarch in with 2 T. of water before adding to sauce mixture – this will prevent lumps)
- Pour sauce ingredients from bowl over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions, green peppers, red peppers and if desired, red pepper flakes, over top of chicken and sauce.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. You can stir half-way through, if desired.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Note: If you prefer more of a glaze-type sauce do the following after chicken is finished slow cooking –
- Remove chicken and veggies from sauce with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour sauce in a pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- In a separate container, again mix 2 T. water with 2-3 T. cornstarch.
- Pour cornstarch/water mixture into sauce and stir frequently over medium-high heat until thickened.
- Turn stove off, add chicken & veggies back to sauce and stir. Serve over rice or noodles.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
Would love to be able to make my own, General Tso’s
Sauce.( Usually on the Chinese take-out menus) as General Tso’s Chicken.
Thank you for all your interesting dishes!
Why not create a cookbook for people who are on no salt diets
Sorry I meant can you make honey chicken in crock
Hi Charlie, I have a couple different recipes on my website at GetCrocked.com. Happy to share one with you, but hope you will check out other recipes on my website. Here you go and Happy Crocking! http://bit.ly/ZeI7BM