Cooking Time:7 hours on Low
Ingredients3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into pieces
1 T. oil
8 oz. cooked, smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. saffron, or 1/4 tsp. turmeric, ground
14.5 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 c. water
2 c. tomatoes, chopped
2 yellow or green peppers, cut into thin bite-sized pieces
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 c. green olives, drained
Cooked Spanish rice (like bomba or arborio)
Paella is a popular dish from Spain that has a rice base and includes ingredients such as meat, seafood, and/or vegetables. Our cousin started playing professional basketball in Spain this year and he has really enjoyed the Spanish cuisine — especially paella! So in honor of National Paella Day and our cousin, Scott Wood, here is a recipe from my eBook of 450+ Slow Cooker Recipes — Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Paella!
- Optional first step: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces. (it may take a few batches) Place browned chicken on a paper towel to drain the fat.
- Put chicken pieces, turkey sausage and onion in a 4–5 quart slow cooker.
- Season meat and onion with garlic, thyme, black pepper, and saffron or turmeric.
- Combine broth and water together and pour over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover & Crock on Low for 7 hours
- Give yourself enough time to prepare rice as directed on the package to have it ready when done, so you can serve the paella over hot rice. I like Matiz Paella Rice
- After the cooking time is complete, stir in tomatoes, sweet peppers, peas, thyme and (optional) green olives.
- Cover and keep on Low for 15 more minutes. Serve over prepared rice.