Cooking Time:4 hours
Ingredients2 T. coconut oil
1 c. yellow onion
1 tsp. Sea salt
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
pepper, to taste
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 lb. carrots
3 turnips, peeled and chopped
3 c. chicken broth
2 lbs. sugar baby pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
1/2 c. golden raisins
4 c. loosely packed kale
1–2 T. apple cider vinegar
Fall flavors and seasonal winter vegetables abound in the delicious recipe for Slow Cooker Paleo Pumpkin and Kale Stew .
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet; add onions and salt and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, and a pinch of pepper and cook until about 1 minute.
- Place the seasoned onions into crock.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and broth with the onions in the crock and stir.
- Cover and crock on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the pumpkin, sweet potatoes and raisins—add a bit more salt to taste if desired, and stir.
- Re-cover and continue to crock on HIGH around 2 more hours, or until vegetables are quite soft.
- Last add the kale and barely stir.
- Let the kale wilt, and finish by adding apple cider vinegar to taste.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
NOTE: By using vegetable broth, this stew is also Vegan. Enjoy!